Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Create your wordy/lengthy posts in another application

We are trying to track down and correct a software issue.
See more
See less

Tint removal, glue, Defrost wires on the surface of glass?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tint removal, glue, Defrost wires on the surface of glass?

there is some milky 10 year old tint on my back window and it is damn near impossible to get it off without breaking the defrost wires. I've tried chemicals (hard to apply without the risk of getting it on my interior, plus it turns the tint to goo and gets everywhere) I've tried using razor blades in the sunlight (so the window and tint are hot) and at the rate I've gone it would take 5-6 hours/30+ razor blades to get it all off. Plus there would still be residue by the defrost wires. Do all E30 M3 rear windows have the wire on the surface of the glass? I'm tempted to just go to a tint shop and have them take it all off and destroy my rear defrost (ive already killed 4 or 5 wires accidentally) and worry about it later.

Anyone able to run out to their car and feel the inside of their back window?
    1990 M3/1998 M3 Sedan

the lines are raised on all cars

i took my car to a tint guy to have it removed properly for ~$120. worth every penny. one line is broken, but it was that way before the removal
    James
    sigpic

Comment

My experience has shown that the tint adhesive is water soluable. I've never tried to pull it from a back window, but a spray bottle and a rag worked pretty well on some side windows, but I was able to pull the tint off at once and then just softened and wiped the adhesive off with water (it will get gooey and make a mess). I'll bet the pros use steam.

NASA GTS5 #945
      NASA GTS5 Midwest Regional Champion ('09,'11,'12 & '14)

Comment

Originally posted by jht3 View Post
        the lines are raised on all cars

i took my car to a tint guy to have it removed properly for ~$120. worth every penny. one line is broken, but it was that way before the removal
        damn. I wonder if i ever needed to replace the window if any window place would carry glass with the lines inside the glass?

Originally posted by sprytel View Post
        My experience has shown that the tint adhesive is water soluable. I've never tried to pull it from a back window, but a spray bottle and a rag worked pretty well on some side windows, but I was able to pull the tint off at once and then just softened and wiped the adhesive off with water (it will get gooey and make a mess). I'll bet the pros use steam.
        really? thats interesting.. when i get my car back i might have to give that a whirl.

Thanks for the input fellas.

p.s. the multi quote button is sweet
        1990 M3/1998 M3 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by sprytel View Post
          I'll bet the pros use steam.
          the guy that removed mine certainly did

the defroster lines are repairable, IF you can find out where the break is. auto parts stores usually sell a repair kit
          James
          sigpic

Comment

Aaron-

Try using spray bottle w/ ammonia & water in it. Makes life a lot easier removing the tint- Try to do a controlled spray/ removal-

Note to self: Watch eyes, lungs, etc.

Don McAdams
            1988 E30 M3
            "E30 M3 Owner & Enthusiast"

www.McAdamsAutoSport.com

Comment

I just did this!
              But I had the parcel shelf removed.

buy some full strength ammonia & put it in a spray bottle
              cover all the upholstery with plastic
              get a thin trash bag & split it so that is only single thickness. (I think you could use saran-wrap also)
              (warning :grr:: use a respirator when spraying ammonia! it is nasty stuff!)
              spray the window tint with ammonia and then cover it with plastic, the liquid will hold the plastic in place.
              let is soak for a while (in a warm environment makes it easier)
              then carefully peel a corner and peel off the film. you will see that the glue separates from the film and remains on the window, that is okay.
              once the film is off then you go to work with the ammonia again. spraying and rubbing with a cloth, paper towels just fall apart

It takes a lot of elbow grease but it comes off without damaging the heating elements

I also had to re-solder the defroster tabs, they were both laying on the shelf.
              Last edited by GraemeD; 02-28-2007, 08:44 AM.
              Graeme D
              Arvada, CO

Comment

Find a good tint shop. The one I use had a tint removal machine designed for removing tint from rear windows with defroster lines without damaging a thing or leaving a mess. They were able to remove the film with the adhesive instead of leaving it on the glass. Razor blades and soapy water is the old school technique that worked fine but a major PITA on a rear window with defroster lines.
                "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
                89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
                91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH
                98 528I SPORT 5 SPEED- SCHWARZ/SCHWARZ

Comment

window tint problem

Okay so the previous owner had tints on the car but removed them, but he messed up on the rear window. All the glue is still there and even chunks of the tint. If I look in my rear view I cant even see through it. Whats the easiest way to remove it. With my other car I removed tints from the side windows with Goo Gone and a razor, but with the lines running through it, it would take me weeks to get it all out and not mess up the defroster. Is there any product out there that I can just rub on and will take out the glue?

Comment

Don't know about other states, but in MASS if you have full covereage it covers all the windows.

I had a similar problems when I first bought the car, so I just put a crack in it and the insurance replaced my back window

it is a pain in the ass to NOT ruin those defrost lines.

good luck
                    http://JoeysM3.com

Comment

yea but then i have a 500 ded. so its pointless of even going through insurance. thanks though.

Comment

Yeh, so you don't the window replacement thing is probably not available where you live.

thansk sucks :(
                        http://JoeysM3.com

Comment

I believe this topic has already been covered not too long ago. It also talked about removing the tint from the rear window.

Comment

Go to a professional window tint shop that has a machine to remove the film and adhesive without destroying the defroster lines. Shouldn't cost much more than $40 or $50.
                            "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
                            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
                            91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH
                            98 528I SPORT 5 SPEED- SCHWARZ/SCHWARZ

Comment

Originally posted by chutrain View Post
                              I believe this topic has already been covered not too long ago. It also talked about removing the tint from the rear window.

yeah, i started a thread for the same thing!

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread...highlight=tint

:D
                              1990 M3/1998 M3 Sedan

Comment

Working...
                              X