Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Forum updates soon to come. Create your verbose posts in another App , paste here...

There's a forum update soon to come. Currently there's an issue were your posts/comments might get lost, so you'll have to retype them... If it important, compose your comments in another App and copy/paste it here.

Cheers
See more
See less

Lubro Molly MoS2 Anti Friction Engine Treatment

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lubro Molly MoS2 Anti Friction Engine Treatment

Has anyone used this product? Is it advisable to use these kind of products in our engines?

Thanks,
    Dar
    sigpic
    MthreeBoy
    1987 E30 325i - Sold
    1988 E30 M3 -
    1997 E36 M3 - Sold but not forgotten :(
    1998 986 Porsche Boxster - Sold
    2001 E53 X5 4.4i - Sold
    2002 B6 Audi A4 1.8TQ - Sold
    2006 E90 330Xi - Sold
    2008 E93 335i
    2008 E70 X5 4.8i

Lubro Moly is a reputable German oil supplier. I would suggest getting their engine or trans oil outright rather than adding this stuff to cheaper dino oil.

I'm a Redline guy myself. Even in my Scirocco beater. Right now the M3 is on red-cap Mobil-1. Based on discussions I have read on bobistheoilguy.com, I'm going to 10-40 Redline when I run out of red-cap M1. Long story short, rumor has it that Mobil has changed their formulation and no one from Mobil has mounted the stump and addressed the changes. Do the math, you spend about 10X what you spend on lube oil for fuel anyway, so whether you pay $9 for a quart of oil or get it free, your cost of operation does not change much. The S14 is *not* cheap to rebuild, and it has known oiling "issues" at max RPM. Based on this, I have to say that "extremism in the quest for excellent oil is no vice, and moderation in willingness to pay for the best is no virtue"...

IIRC it is a fact that SM oils have less extreme-pressure additives than the previous SL oils, and I have read of some problems with flat-tappet (American Iron) engines using them.

Take a look in the Oils & Fluids FAQ section, there are a lot of discussions there.

Comment

Thanks for the reply M3 Mitch. After going through the Oil and Fluid section, I finally went with M1 15/50. From what I gatheres from my search, redline 10/40 is thinner compared to M1 and Castrol 10/40 and may make knocking noise. A lot of guys here use M1 15/50 and I myself use M1 5/30 in my Audi and X5, but I was not aware of the formulation change in the M1.

I have a can of MoS2... should I add that to the 15/50 and from next time around go w/ML 10/40 w/MoS2?

Thanks
      sigpic
      MthreeBoy
      1987 E30 325i - Sold
      1988 E30 M3 -
      1997 E36 M3 - Sold but not forgotten :(
      1998 986 Porsche Boxster - Sold
      2001 E53 X5 4.4i - Sold
      2002 B6 Audi A4 1.8TQ - Sold
      2006 E90 330Xi - Sold
      2008 E93 335i
      2008 E70 X5 4.8i

Comment

Damn I hate the subject of oil and oil additives. Rightly compared to discussing religion. I do know one thing, I've not read a single email, or post, nor had one discussion with anybody who had a bad experience with any particular oil brand or type. No engines have blown up; no wear attributed a specific choice of oil. If it's changed regularly and it's the correct weight/spec for the given engine chances are pretty darn good you’re going to be fine. No miracle oils, additives and all that crap. Nothing's going to release trapped horsies. Argh... but the discussions will never end. Oh well. Sorry, just getting senile these days I guess. I use Mobile one; gold cap, red cap, blue cap, clear cap, whatever cap, I don't care. That goes in the daily driver. I like Red Line too but I just tried some Motul in the 320is. Get this... I can't tell the difference. Now ain't that some shit!

Jake
        Last edited by Jake; 06-18-2007, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Agreed. Its like the oil filter debates as well. One has to wonder where some oil brand bashing may come from. Perhaps from the marketing department of a competing brand...

Originally posted by Jake View Post
          Damn I hate the subject of oil and oil additives. Rightly compared to discussing religion. I do know one thing, I've not read a single email, or post, nor had one discussion with anybody who had a bad experience with any particular oil brand or type. No engines have blown up; no wear attributed a specific choice of oil. If it's changed regularly and it's the correct weight/spec for the given engine chances are pretty darn good you’re going to be fine. No miracle oils, additives and all that crap. Nothing's going to release trapped horsies. Argh... but the discussions will never end. Oh well. Sorry, just getting senile these days I guess. I use Mobile one; gold cap, red cap, blue cap, clear cap, whatever cap, I don't care. That goes in the daily driver. I like Red Line too but I just tried some Motul in the 320is. Get this... I can't tell the difference. Now ain't that some shit!

Jake
          There'll be Spandex jackets one for everyone ...

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post

Jake
            Nicely spoken Jake

"But most of all...
            ... I like the way you move......"

Comment

It's absolutely true that any oil of the correct weight etc. will work OK in the S14, to the best of my knowledge. It's also true that regular dino SM oils contain less extreme pressure additives than the previous SL version. I have *heard* (anecdote, not data!) of some problems in MG-B and various American V-8 engines with flat tappets. This is in the US, I think European markets get a different formula. The reduction in extreme pressure is to benefit the longevity of catalytic converters.

One pays his money and takes his choice.

I think most would agree to stay away from additives, the only exception might be if L-M says it's fine to put their Moly additive in their oil, OK, you can do that (although the L-M probably does not need it).

More and better info is on bobistheoilguy.com

Comment

Working...
              X