Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E46 front struts into E30?

Just curious:
    did anyone try to modify the E30 strut in order to accomodate the E46 strut inserts?

As you can see on the picture, the E46 Strut (i.e. damper + lower spring rest)
    is just clamped into the lower part, which makes
    exchanging the damper very easy and there is a
    large number of available makes (coilovers).

So all it would need is a piece of tube manufactured to fit the E46 sizes
    and with such a clamp on top, as a weld-on piece to our E30 bottom part.

The scetch shows what I mean. The tube could of course extend down to the cated part.

Sounds tempting, no?
    Could anyone with access to E46 front struts measure length and diamters of the strut body?

Thomas
    sigpic

Thomas,

I can't see the improvement of such a conversion. The money it takes to buy all the parts AND butcher a set of E30 M3 struts is for sure more than getting your E30 struts converted.

What do I miss?

If there would be a way to completely replace the E30 M3 strut with E36/46 than I can see the benefit

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

Uwe

its just the options...

recently I was asking KW to upgrade my V2 dampers to V3 ones.
      The answer is that this is not possible in the front, as they dont do the V3 as small diameter damper insert (so-to-say "dry" insert) but they would need to weld on a new damper tube for a "wet" damper direct insert.

That was the basis for my question.

Ah, and if KW does it they use their "competition" dampers, which cost a few quids extra (~200 Euro extra each more than a regular V3). So there would even be some "savings", as I have to sacrifice a pair of E30M3 struts anyhow.

Meanwhile I bought me the rear KW V3 dampers from a E36Compakt (1:1 fit) and they are so much better than the Konis...but the utilize the full potential of their low velocity bump adjustment I need front ones with similar characteristics.

Also, think of all the toys you could mount then, Bilstein PSS18 adjustables, for example...

And, of course, at any price I want to keep the E30M3 front suspension geometry.

Thomas

PS: was there still a car underneath your cover when you lifted it?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TR-Spider View Post
        PS: was there still a car underneath your cover when you lifted it?
        Actually it was looking much better than expected! The belts had grown a little bit of fur but apart from that all was looking fine!

Comment

I think AST already does a similar process with their 5100 kits I believe.

Comment

Here's a pic of Mario's Rigoli's set up.
            Attached Files
            sigpic

Comment

Booker, thanks a lot!
              Exactly what I was hoping to see...

Thomas
              sigpic

Comment

...some time later:

I replicated the method of Mario Rigoli, but designed a one-piece tube including the clamp from steel.

And I can confirm that the V3 from the E46 front matches nicely the V3 E36 Compakt rear in terms of damping character.
                I am just at the beginning of tuning the damping adjustments, but it already feels really great and a huge improvement compared to the V2's.

Thomas
                Last edited by TR-Spider; 03-07-2011, 11:02 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

Mario lives here in my home town and is building my 2.5 motor, I can get any more pics if anybody needs any different ones

Comment

Originally posted by dinansm3 View Post
                    Mario lives here in my home town and is building my 2.5 motor, I can get any more pics if anybody needs any different ones
                    We need to meet one of these days.

Jake

Comment

...some time later:

I replicated the method of Mario Rigoli, but designed a one-piece tube including the clamp from steel.

And I can confirm that the V3 from the E46 front matches nicely the V3 E36 Compakt rear in terms of damping character.
                      I am just at the beginning of tuning the damping adjustments, but it already feels really great and a huge improvement compared to the V2's.

Thomas
                      I demand PICTURES!!!

Comment

Now all we need is someone to replicate the spindle so we're not stuck paying through the nose for 20 year old BMW pieces...
                        sigpic
                        Track Car Build | COM Sports Car Club

Comment

Mario lives here in my home town
                          Please send him my regards when you see him.

Pictures:
                          left the E46 part used as design guideline for the clamping section, right the adaptation

details on the parts: original tube spindled (?) out as seen in Mario Rigoli's part, adapterpiece ready to be pressed in.

Now all we need is someone to replicate the spindle so we're not stuck paying through the nose for 20 year old BMW pieces...
                          I strongly doubt you find someone going all the way to reproduce such part for cheap. And if one does it cheap chinese style, would you want to buy and drive it?

Thomas
                          sigpic

Comment

I strongly doubt you find someone going all the way to reproduce such part for cheap. And if one does it cheap chinese style, would you want to buy and drive it?
                            I didn't say anything about cheap chinese knockoffs. But I have seen billet spindles for other applications for cheaper than what we would pay for used struts. The trick is getting someone to design and build for a low volume market, or finding a different spindle design that would work.
                            sigpic
                            Track Car Build | COM Sports Car Club

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan View Post
                              I didn't say anything about cheap chinese knockoffs. But I have seen billet spindles for other applications for cheaper than what we would pay for used struts. The trick is getting someone to design and build for a low volume market, or finding a different spindle design that would work.

Oh Leeeeeee.... where are you?!?!

Comment

Working...
                              X