1989 BMW M3WBSAK0307K2198117
Zinnoberrot, Black Leather Interior
Chassis Mileage: 308,128 miles
New Engine Mileage: ~7,000 miles
How I ended up with the car:
While working as a technician at Covered Bridge Motor Werks in Conway NH in 2002, my colleague originally purchased this car to make a dedicated E30 M3 track car. The car had just over 300k miles, and the engine was barely running. At about the point it was completely stripped down, my wife (then-fiancťe) secretly purchased the car from my colleague, with the intention of giving it to me as a surprise wedding present. My colleague told me he changed his mind and decided to rebuild this car to stock for a ďfriendĒ that wanted to buy it from him. So for the next few months, I helped rebuild the car that I would eventually own, without ever knowing it was mine.
Car was originally purchased new in Maryland, the high mileage a result of a daily commute. There is a BMWCCA National Capital Chapter sticker on the left rear window. Based on CarFax report, I could be the second or third owner. Since Iíve owned the car, itís been garaged in Virginia and New Jersey, where it currently lives. I have never driven it during the winter months. The frame has no rust or signs of previous damage and is very clean. The car passed NJ state mechanical and emissions inspection in September 2008. Registration and inspection is due again September 2010. The car runs very strong. I have put ~7k miles on the rebuild engine.
What was done to the car:
- Complete paint job. Peripheral parts were removed and sprayed separately (e.g. bumper covers, wing, rocker panels, etc).
- Completely rebuilt engine. New 1st over-size pistons. Reconditioned block, head, injectors, crank. Used cams purchased from Turner Motor Sports. Plenum and valve cover powder coated. Almost every other part on the engine was replaced with new BMW factory parts (full list available). K&N air filter installed.
- New grilles, headlight assembly, front/rear side marker lights, front turn signal lights (BMW factory parts).
- New clutch kit, master and slave cylinders and hoses.
- New power steering hoses.
- New engine and transmission mounts, driveshaft flex disc, rear shock mounts.
- New front brake lines.
- New BMW factory windshield installed.
- Replaced steering wheel with used wheel from BMWCCA member.
- Car came with tan interior; replaced with black interior purchased from BMWCCA member, very good condition. Only one small tear on left side of driver seat bolster (see pic).
- Aftermarket muffler (came with the car). New O2 sensor.
- Replaced transmission and differential fluids with synthetics.
- Mobil1 15W50 synthetic motor oil (changed < 500 miles ago).
- Custom fit car cover from Bavarian Auto will be included.
- Original wheels with Pirelli P-4000 205/55 R15 tires (~30% tread remaining).
- Shocks/struts replaced, suspension feels firm.
What needs attention:
- ABS system does not work. Fault in the ABS control unit. Also some of the wheel speed sensor wires are frayed. ABS was not repaired when the car was restored. Otherwise the braking system works fine.
- No radio.
- Tachometer and water temperature gauges are sometimes jumpy, more so when itís cold outside. SI board probably needs replacement.
- Power steering rack has slow leak.
- Transmission has slight rattle when idling with clutch engaged in neutral. Possibly due to high mileage. I purchased a used transmission from an E30M3 SIG member, but I never installed it. I will include this transmission with the car.
- Recommend replacing timing chain tensioner with E36 M3 tensioner. Occasionally, the chain rattles on startup before oil pressure builds (known problem with E30 tensioners).
- Rear bumper cover was dropped after it was painted, before it was installed on the car. There are a few cracks/chips at the bumper cover corners near the rear wheels.
- A/C system is original R12 and does not work.
Why Iím selling:
Iíve approached a point where I have no more time and resources to devote to restoring this car to stock, which has always been my ultimate goal. And despite the circumstances with which I took ownership of this car, it pains me that I canít drive it more often. My hope is that it finds a new owner that will finish restoring the car and really enjoy it. I know that every time I drive it, it brings a smile to my face.
Iím asking $20k for the car. This includes spare transmission, car cover, and E30 M3 Electrical Troubleshooting Manual (printout in 3-ring binder). I pulled a CarFax and Iíll email to anyone interested. Aside from the chassis mileage, the history is clean and title is clear. Car is located in northern New Jersey.
Pictures can be viewed at: